Re: Exporting just schema/metadata (w/o data) in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Exporting just schema/metadata (w/o data) in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 06:05:27PM +0530, Gandalf Me wrote:
> Thanks!
>  Is there a tool which allows me to import this metadata across different
> databases (postgres, oracle, db2)? Any standard format for storing the
> metadata.
>  Basically, I want my application to run on multiple DBs, and I want to
> create the same schema in all DBs with minimal effort.
>  I understand different DBs ahve different types and one need to do the
> mapping and all, but does such a generic tool exists.

For things like creating tables and queries, as long as you keep to the
SQL standard you should be fine. The syntax for indexes may vary (I
don't know) but even that should be manageable. Use SQL standard types
wherever possible to minimise pain.

Attachment