Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Temporary tables and miscellaneous schemas
List pgsql-patches
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Oh, okay.  I would not object to suppressing pg_temp_NNN schemas from
>> the \dn display.  That isn't what this patch does, however.

> OK.  I read the TODO and it says only:
>     * Have psql \dn show only visible schemas using current_schemas()

That TODO was your interpretation of the discussion; I'm not sure anyone
else bought into it.

> so that's what I did, but I think now I have to add a test so only
> non-visible temp schemas are suppressed,

You are complicating something that could be simple.  Why not just
suppress schemas named 'pg_temp_XXX', period?  I don't see any strong
reason to display them, whether they are your own backend's temp schema
or not.  Arguably, the fact that temp tables are kept in a special
schema is an implementation detail that most people won't care about.
And there is no data that \dn can show that is really important for temp
schemas.  The owner column is at best misleading...

            regards, tom lane