Re: possible bug... - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: possible bug...
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 01:49:35PM -0500, SriKumar Kareti wrote:

Hi,

> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_tblspc ... ok
> selecting default max_connections ... 10
> selecting default shared_buffers ... 50
> creating configuration files ... ok
> creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1 ... child
> process exited with exit code 1
> initdb: removing contents of data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"

Hmm, it seems like you are out of shared memory on this machine; maybe
the kernel limits are too low.  Try setting SHMMAX higher; you can do
that using sysctl and/or /etc/sysctl.conf.  Please see the documentation
on "kernel limits".

The error message is not really friendly though.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"We are who we choose to be", sang the goldfinch