Re: [PORTS] Solaris - psql returns 0 instead of 1 for file not found. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: [PORTS] Solaris - psql returns 0 instead of 1 for file not found.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Monday 19 September 2005 14:01, Clark, Andrew wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've found the when psql is used with the -f flag and the specified file
> doesn't exist the rc value is 0.
>
> $ uname -a
> SunOS bld 5.8 Generic_108528-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440
>
> $ psql -V
> psql (PostgreSQL) 8.0.2
>
> $ ls foo
> foo: No such file or directory
>
> $ psql -f foo
> foo: No such file or directory
>
> $ echo $?
> 0
>
> However, in the man page for psql it says:
>
> EXIT STATUS
>      psql returns 0 to the shell if it finished normally, 1 if  a
>      fatal  error  of  its  own  (out  of memory, file not found)
>      occurs, ...
>
> I'm assuming this is the same with other platforms, but I only use
> PostgreSQL on Solaris.
>
> Has this been fix in 8.0.3?

Redirecting to -bugs since I've confirmed this behavior on Slackware Linux 10
with psql version 8.1beta1 and there does seem to be something wrong with the
above situation  (perhaps the man page needs to be reworded?)

--
Robert Treat