Re: More efficient INs when comparing two columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Roman Neuhauser
Subject Re: More efficient INs when comparing two columns
Date
List pgsql-general
# mag@fbab.net / 2005-09-20 20:45:21 +0200:
> I was thinking if this was possible in some way..
> I have this table where we have X and Y coordinates, and i need to
> select several in one go.
>
> # select * from xy where (x = 1 and y = 2) or (x = 2 and y = 2);
>
> This works but are not so nice looking.
> It would be nice to be able to do it like this:
>
> # select * from xy where (x, y) in ((1, 2), (2, 2));
>
> But that doesn't work.
> A funny thing is that this works:
>
> # select * from xy where (x, y) = (1, 2);
>
> What's the most efficient way of doing these kind of selects?

    You'd need to write that as

    (x, y) IN VALUES (1, 2), (2, 2)

    Unfortunately, PostgreSQL's support for table value constructors
    is very weak.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.