CHECK vs REFERENCES - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject CHECK vs REFERENCES
Date
Re: CHECK vs REFERENCES  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
List pgsql-performance
Which is faster, where the list involved is fixed?  My thought is that
since it doesn't have to check a seperate table, the CHECK itself should
be the faster of the two, but I can't find anything that seems to validate
that theory ...

The case is where I just want to check that a value being inserted is one
of a few possible values, with that list of values rarely (if ever)
changing, so havng a 'flexible list' REFERENCED seems relatively overkill

Thoughts, or pointers to a doc that disproves, or proves, what I believe?

Thanks ...

----