BUG #1861: Possible Incompatibly with NOD32 AV. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Thomas Turn Jensen
Subject BUG #1861: Possible Incompatibly with NOD32 AV.
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1861
Logged by:          Thomas Turn Jensen
Email address:      thomas@turn.dk
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
Operating system:   Windows XP SP2
Details:

I'm aware this will not be a "complete" bug report with all neccesary
information. I have not tried to reproduce the problem but am satisfied I
found a solution. The reason I make this bug report is a result of someone
(rightly) saying "im not sure who you would mail but i think it needs
documenting.." after the fact. Since I know of no better means of
documenting it, I use this approach.

PROBLEM:
After installing NOD32 antivirus (www.nod32.com) PostgreSQL no longer
works.

SYMPTOMS:
Any application trying to connect/log into PG freezes. Only a termination of
the PG service will unfreeze the applications with an error about unexpected
EOF from socket (or something to that effect. Sorry, I don't have the exact
message).

Log in pg_log/postrgresql-#date-#postfix contains the following entries for
every frozen application:
2005-09-03 02:46:11 LOG:  could not receive data from client: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
2005-09-03 02:46:11 LOG:  incomplete startup packet

POSSIBLE MITIGATING FACTORS:
NOD32 was installed together with PC-cillin 2002 (AV). However only NOD32
was active. Disabling NOD32 did not have any effect.
"Google Desktop" reports possible conflicts with NOD32.

WORKARROUND:
After uninstalling NOD32 and rebooting, PG works as expected.

SELECT version():
PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2
(mingw-special)