Re: ALTER TABLE ( smallinto -> boolean ) ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE ( smallinto -> boolean ) ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> # ALTER TABLE table ALTER COLUMN field1 type boolean;
>> ERROR:  column "field1" cannot be cast to type "pg_catalog.bool"
>
>> Should this not work?
>
> No, because there's no built-in cast from smallint to bool.  You could
> do something like
>
> ... type boolean using case when field1=0 then false else true end;

'k, I just took a read through the "CREATE CAST" man page, and don't think
I can use that for this, but is there some way I can create a cast for
this, so that we don't have to go through the complete application and
change "VALUES ( 0 );" to "VALUES ( '0' );" ...

Again, from reading the man page, I'm guessing not, but just want to make
sure that I haven't missed anything ...

----