From: Tobias Brox
Subject: Re: Swapping
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Swapping  (Carlos Henrique Reimer, )
 Re: Swapping  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Swapping  (Tobias Brox, )

[Tobias Brox - Wed at 09:22:17PM +0200]
> I'd trust linux to handle swap/cache sensibly.  Eventually, become involved
> with kernel hacking ;-)

Of course, there are also some files in /proc/sys/vm that you may want to
peek into, for tuning the swapping.  Particularly, at later 2.6-kernels (I'm
running 2.6.12) you have the file /proc/sys/vm/swappiness, where the number
should be some percentage.  I'm not completely sure how it works, but I
suppose that the higher you set it, the more likely it is to swap out
memory not beeing used.  I think the default setting is probably sane, but
you may want to google a bit about it.

--
Notice of Confidentiality: This email is sent unencrypted over the network,
and may be stored on several email servers; it can be read by third parties