Re: stack depth limit exceeded - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: stack depth limit exceeded
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 12:01:59PM +1000, Jamie Deppeler wrote:
> At the moment i am trying to execute a very simple function but i am
> getting the following error stack depth limit exceeded

That's often a sign of infinite recursion, i.e., a function that
keeps calling itself, either directly or indirectly.

> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "contacts"."addContactField" () RETURNS
> trigger AS
> $body$
> begin
>  update contacts.person
>  set "contact" = new.firstname
>  where person."primary" = new."primary";
>  return null;
> end;
> $body$
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

What's the trigger definition look like?  I'd guess that the update
on contacts.person has a trigger that somehow gets back to this
function, which updates contacts.person, which invokes the trigger,
etc.

--
Michael Fuhr