Re: About "ERROR: must be *superuser* to COPY to or from a file" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: About "ERROR: must be *superuser* to COPY to or from a file"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 06:04:52PM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> writes:
>
> > You can use \copy in 'psql' on the client side, but you have to be a
> > superuser to do COPY on the server side, for security reasons.
>
> I wonder if there's any way to relax this constraint.

This doesn't address the general problem, but a COPY inside a
SECURITY DEFINER function might work in certain cases.  You'd still
have security issues to deal with, like the location of the input
or output file and making sure that SESSION_USER has appropriate
permissons on the table being copied to or from.

--
Michael Fuhr