Re: PQConnectdb SSL (sslmode): Is this a bug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: PQConnectdb SSL (sslmode): Is this a bug
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:57:36PM -0700, vishal saberwal wrote:
> I am not sure as to how i can find the version of libpq that i am
> using on my server. My test file has sslmode=prefer. This is what i
> did:
> (a)
> [root@localhost serv]# ./bin/test_lib
> Connection failed: SSL error: sslv3 alert handshake failure

I asked what appeared in the server's logs when this happened but
I don't see that information in your post.  Those log entries might
be useful, so please post them if you continue to have trouble.

> ret=-1
> [root@localhost serv]# ldd ./bin/test_lib
>         libpq.so.3 => /usr/lib/libpq.so.3 (0x002ee000)

What's the output of the following command?

  ls -l /usr/lib/libpq.so*

In my 7.4.8 installation I see the following:

  libpq.so -> libpq.so.3.1
  libpq.so.3 -> libpq.so.3.1
  libpq.so.3.1

As I recall, 8.0.1's libpq was libpq.so.3.2 (this was changed to
libpq.so.4.0 in 8.0.2), so the library's minor version should tell
you which version of PostgreSQL you're linked against.

I asked if the certificate works with psql, and if it does, for you
to show the output of "ldd psql".  I don't see that output -- does
psql work?  If so then please post its ldd output.

> [root@localhost libk2]# ./bin/test_k2
> Connection failed: could not open certificate file
> "/root/.postgresql/postgresql.crt": No such file or directory

What's test_k2?  It's looking for the certificate, although perhaps
not where you want it to.  What happens if you run this program as
a user that has a certificate, or if you install the certificate
and key in /root/.postgresql?  Also, I don't see test_k2's ldd
output -- is it linked against /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3?
If so, what's the output of the following command?

  ls -l /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so*

I'm wondering if you have PostgreSQL 7.4's libraries installed in
/usr/lib and 8.0.1's libraries in /usr/local/pgsql/lib.  Is that
what you've done?

--
Michael Fuhr