Re: help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt A.
Subject Re: help
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry to have replied directly to you. I assumed the
reply address was that of the pgsql email.A thousand
apologies.

Anyway, I am new to postgres and looking to casts. I
have wrote this question several times before and on
this version I forgot to add the exact rules of why
it's breaking and what i need it to do. I will try to
be more clear...

I use the rules to insert 0/1/null inserts into
booleans, integers, text, etc. fields.

Example: insert into table (bool_column) values
nullif('',''));
ERROR: column "bool_column" is of type boolean but
expression is of type text.

Where '' == '' should evaluate to NULL as OPAQUE
(depreciated) or similiar return instead of TEXT cast.

So if I could alter the cast from text to return
either INTEGER or TEXT, that would super! I'm not sure
if it's possible but if so I'm willing to do what it
takes to accomplish it.

I'm on a test box to see if postgresql will be
suitable for our production environment (from MSSQL).
So I can route around and tear things apart at will.

Even changing nullif() to return 1/0/null for boolean
and integer fields would be sufficient. It's hardly
used on TEXT casts.

Thanks for your time. I hope that I may have been more
helpful on this reply.

Thank you,
Matthew

Yahoo! Mail