Copy Failure - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From
Subject Copy Failure
Date
List pgsql-novice
hi all.

i'm trying to copy data from a csv file into a PGSQL
7.4 database.  i tried tab delimited and i tried comma
delimted.

i placed both files in my c:\cygwin and typed the
following in pgadmin3:

COPY t_ipc_defect FROM '/IPC';

my table looks like this:

description
date
id

my data looks like this...

"Tie too loose",08/25/2005,"MA18"

i also tried this...

Tie too loose,08/25/2005,MA18

and this...

"Tie too loose","08/25/2005","MA18"

the error i receive is pretty consistent.

ERROR: missing data column "date"
CONTEXT: COPY defect, line 1: ""PI[] (this is me -
looks to be a small vertical rectangle) Spacer not in
contact with component and body","08/25/2005","MA18""

i created my source csv file from openoffice.org. i
will go through the motions again, except i will try a
single quote instead of a double quote to see if that
helps.

does anyone have any ideas?

tia...