Re: extremly low memory usage - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Stone
Subject Re: extremly low memory usage
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 02:17:54PM +0300, Marko Ristola wrote:
>Based on my knoledge, Ext3 is good with keeping filesystem integrity
>AND data integrity while pressing the reset button.  However, by
>selecting data=writeback, you gain more speed, but you risk the data
>integrity during a crash: Ext3 garantees only filesystem integrity.

That's why postgres keeps its own transaction log. Any of these
filesystems guarantee data integrity for data that's been synced to
disk, and postgres keeps track of what data has and has not been
committed so it can recover gracefully from a failure. That's why most
filesystems are designed the way they are; the application can determine
what things need better data integrity and which need better performance
on a case-by-case basis.

Mike Stone