Re: A Table's Primary Key Listing - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Roger Tannous
Subject Re: A Table's Primary Key Listing
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi to all, there was a BIG MISTAKE in my proposition regarding my last
post:

In fact, after examining the online documentation (Note that I don't have
enough experience in postgreSQL !!) I found that

select '(' || replace('1 2', " ", ",") || ')';

could not, in any way, be equivalent to:

select '(\'' || replace(indkey, " ", "','") || '\')' from pg_index;

in that the first example '1 2' is a string, while indkey is an array and
the later usage of the concatenation operator with the array just appends
strings to the array, which yields an array, not what I expected to be, a
string!! So it's apparently irrelevant to directly use the replace command
with an array !!

In fact, I've also tried:

select replace('(\'' || indkey  || '\')', " ", "','") from pg_index;

but forgot to mention it in the previous post.

So concatenating any string to an array yields an array... and this query
is irrelevant.

The possible solution would be to convert this array to a string, with the
insertion of the proper quotes and commas; but since the command to be
used already inserts a delimiter, we can get rid of the replace command.
Let's see this query now:

select '(\'' || array_to_string(indkey, '\',\'')  || '\')' from pg_index;

I'm sure this should work :)

Now we have the final WHERE statement like this:

WHERE pg_attribute.attnum IN '(\'' || array_to_string(pg_index.indkey,

or ?

WHERE pg_attribute.attnum IN ('\'' || array_to_string(pg_index.indkey,

Anyway, I got to test those queries, and I'm optimistic about it.
Hope they'll work fine :)

Best Regards,
Roger Tannous.