Re: Field order - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Field order
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 12:09:12 -0600,
  Michael Schmidt <MichaelMSchmidt@msn.com> wrote:
> I've searched the archives and found this question was asked in 2001 but never answered.  Does the order of fields in
atable make a difference?  In Paradox (from whence I come), there was some belief that reliability was increased if
memo(text) fields were placed at the end of the table.  If field order does make a difference, does the EMS PostgreSQL
manager"reorder" function physically rearrange the fields?

> Thanks for your time in considering this basic question

Some space can be saved by putting the columns with the largest alignments
first.
The columns are not moved around to do the above, but are kept in the
declared order.