Re: PG8 Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: PG8 Tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
Michael,

> Well, you don't have to spend *quite* that much to get a decent storage
> array. :)

Yes, I'm just pointing out that it's only the extreme cases which are
clear-cut.  Middle cases are a lot harder to define.  For example, we've
found that on DBT2 running of a 14-drive JBOD, seperating off WAL boosts
performance about 8% to 14%.  On DBT3 (DSS) seperate WAL (and seperate
tablespaces) helps considerably during data load,but not otherwise.  So it
all depends.

> That's a different creature from
> a data mining app that might really benefit from having additional
> spindles to accelerate read performance from indices much larger than
> RAM.

Yes, although the data mining app benefits from the special xlog disk
during ETL.  So it's a tradeoff.

> At any rate, this just underscores the need for testing a
> particular workload on particular hardware

Yes, absolutely.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus