Re: append to the current search_path - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: append to the current search_path
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 06:30:59PM -0700, TJ O'Donnell wrote:
> How can I append to the current search_path?
> How can I put $user (back) into the search path?
> These commands all fail:
>  set search_path  $user,public,gnova;
>  set search_path \$user,public,gnova;
>  set search_path '$user',public,gnova;

The last one should succeed if you add "TO" or "=" as the SET
documentation shows.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-set.html

> Ideally, I would like something like PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/bin
> where I can get the current value and just append to it.

You could use the set_config() and current_setting() functions.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/functions-admin.html

I'm not aware of a way to append to a variable's current setting
with SET, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

--
Michael Fuhr