Encrypting in Postgresql-8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From The One
Subject Encrypting in Postgresql-8.0
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

I'm running Postgresql-8.0 for the database, using cygwin and PostgreSQL 7.4.5 compiled lib.

When I tried to encrypt some data by calling encrypt() function, I'm getting blank returns to me from the encrypt function.  I'm not sure I'm using the encrypt() function incorrectly or is it PostgreSql 7.4.5 lib not compatible with Postgresql-8.0.

I tried to compile Postgresql-8.0.3 in cygwin, but it failed.  The error I was getting is:
dlltool --dllname postgres.exe --def postgres.def --output-lib libpostgres.a
dlltool: bfd_open failed open stub file: dakes03194.o
make[2]: *** [libpostgres.a] Error 1
make[2]: *** Deleting file `libpostgres.a'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/postgresql-8.0.3/src/backend'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/postgresql-8.0.3/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I really think I'm not using the encrypt function correctly.  Can some one some me an example on how to encrypt data before insert it into the database and decrypt it when retreive from the database?

Thank you