Re: Cast Problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Cast Problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 11:50:02AM -0700, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> i do a sort by serial number.  in order to sort the
> way i want, i need to cast serial_number (type text)
> as an integer.
>
> ... ORDER By serial_number::integer ASC;
>
> this works great in pgsql 7.4.x (whatever i'm using on
> my dev box, i think 7.4.3, but not sure), but it
> doesn't work in pgsql 7.3.9.
>
> it doesn't allow the query to complete and i
> eventually get a "non object" error.

What's the *exact* error message?  I don't see "non object" anywhere
in the 7.3 source code.  What client interface are you using?

The following example works for me in 7.3.10, and I don't see
anything in the Release Notes that suggests the behavior has changed
since 7.3.9:

CREATE TABLE foo (serial_number text);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES (1);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES (2);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES (3);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES (10);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES (20);
INSERT INTO foo VALUES (30);

SELECT * FROM foo ORDER BY serial_number::integer;
 serial_number
---------------
 1
 2
 3
 10
 20
 30
(6 rows)

Maybe this example is too simple to show the problem.  Could you
post a complete test case?

--
Michael Fuhr