Re: BUG #1800: "unexpected chunk number" during pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #1800: "unexpected chunk number" during pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 06:02:30AM +0100, Aaron Harsh wrote:

> pg_dump: ERROR:  unexpected chunk number 0 (expected 1) for toast value
> 4294879152
> pg_dump: SQL command to dump the contents of table "dataset_cache" failed:
> PQendcopy() failed.
> pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  unexpected chunk number 0
> (expected 1) for toast value 4294879152
> pg_dump: The command was: COPY public.dataset_cache (checksum, version_no,
> bind_params, sql_statement, serialized_value, date_created) TO stdout;
> pg_dump: *** aborted because of error
>
> We saw the same message when we tried to cluster the effective table.  The
> problem went away after truncating the table.
>
> I've searched the pgsql-bugs archives and found reports of this problem, but
> haven't seen a solution.  Is there a solution to keep this from happening in
> the future? (Version upgrade maybe?)

Looks very much like the table was corrupted.  Maybe you should try to
test your RAM and disks.  Not sure how to do that on x86-64 though,
unless the test utility at www.memtest86.com has been ported to it.

"La naturaleza, tan frágil, tan expuesta a la muerte... y tan viva"