Re: Simplifying wal_sync_method - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Simplifying wal_sync_method
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 06:02:37PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > I think we should offer the reliable option by default, and mention the
> > fast option for those who have battery-backed cache in the manual.
>
> But only on Win32?

We should do what's possible with what's given to us.

On Win32:

1.  We can write through cache.
2.  We have unreliable OS with unreliable filesystem.
3.  The probability of mediocre hardware is higher.

Regular POSIX:
1.  We can't write through cache.
2.  We have good OS with good filesystem (probably even   journaled).
3.  The probably of mediocre hardware is lower.

Why shouldn't we offer reliable option to win32?

-  Win32 guy complains that PG is bit slow.  We tell him to RTFM.
-  Win32 guy complains he lost database.  We tell him he didn't RTFM.

Which way you make more friends?

--
marko

PS.  Yeah, I was the guy who helped him to restore what's left.
I'd say he wasn't exactly happy.