Re: wanting to use postgres with python - WHAT am I doing wrong?????? AGGGHHHH - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject Re: wanting to use postgres with python - WHAT am I doing wrong?????? AGGGHHHH
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 09:49:18AM -0600,
 Ronni <bounvl@inl.gov> wrote
 a message of 24 lines which said:

> I want to use postgres with python

This is too vague. Do you want:

1) To do server-side programming in Python (creating functions in
Python instead of plPgSQL or SQL)?

If so:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/plpython.html

2) Access the database from a client written in Python?

If so:
http://initd.org/projects/psycopg1

(There are other Python client interfaces such as PoPy, but psycopg is
the most common, and best maintained version.)

The second is typically much simpler. (I do both.)

> I did both on my Sun Solaris Opteron AMD 64 (Mandrake 10.1 os)
                          ??? Solaris or Mandrake?

> using the --enable-shared and --with-python options.

--with-python is only for 1), server-side programming.

> but I can't seem to do stuff with both!

Commands typed and actual results obtained? Otherwise, noone can help
you.

> I read up and decided that I needed PyGreSQL

No.