PostgreSQL 8.0.3, AIX 5.1, getaddrinfo, AI_NUMERICHOST - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Logan O'Sullivan Bruns
Subject PostgreSQL 8.0.3, AIX 5.1, getaddrinfo, AI_NUMERICHOST
Date
List pgsql-ports
Hello everyone,

I ran into a minor bug with PostgreSQL 8.0.3 compiled with xlc on AIX
5.1 (5100-04). Basically it worked fine connecting via unix domain
sockets but when you connected to it using TCP/IP with JDBC the child
process would SEGV. I tracked the problem to a call to getaddrinfo
while evaluating the host based access control rules.

The code in function parse_hba on line 752 of hba.c sets the ai_flags
member of the addrinfo struct to AI_NUMERICHOST. This is eventually
passed into a call to getaddrinfo that results in the SEGV. The manual
page from the box implies that at least this version of AIX does not
the AI_NUMERICHOST flag. (As opposed to, say, Solaris which clearly
does.)

Ifdefing the code so that ai_flags is set to zero on AIX fixes the
problem.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone or the right place to send
such notes. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,
  logan