Re: Problem with dropping a tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Problem with dropping a tablespace
Date
Re: Problem with dropping a tablespace  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 03:25:53PM +0200, Oliver Siegmar wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 August 2005 15:16, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> > > This directory indeed contains a subdirectory named 595675173 (the
> > > ghost's database oid ;-))
> >
> > Does that subdirectory contain anything?  That's part of why I asked
> > for the "ls -alR" output; I was also curious to see if there were
> > any surprises in ownership and permissions.
>
> Yeah. There are a lot of files in it. Owner and group is postgres (the
> postmaster user). Permissions are set to 0600 - the directory itself has
> 0700.

Hmmm...based on the file names, it looks like the directory contains
only system tables.  Do you know what database this was?  Did you
explicitly drop it, or is its disappearance (or appearance) a
mystery?  Didn't you say that the tablespace's filesystem ran out
of space?  When did that happen in relation to this database's
existence (during create, during drop, etc.)?  Are there any unusual
messages in the PostgreSQL logs?

If any of the developers are following this thread, could the
tablespace's filesystem running out of space have resulted in this
phantom directory, perhaps due to a create or drop that didn't
complete?  Is there any danger in Oliver removing the directory if
pg_database doesn't know about the database oid?  Should he shut
down the postmaster before removing it, or shouldn't that matter?

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/