Re: Problem with dropping a tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: Problem with dropping a tablespace
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:00:28AM +0200, Oliver Siegmar wrote:
> On Monday 01 August 2005 22:15, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 09:28:07PM +0200, Oliver Siegmar wrote:
> > > How may I delete the tablespace manually?
> >
> > Perhaps a better question to ask is: why does pg_tablespace_databases()
> > think that database 595675173 has objects in the tablespace?  What
> > platform are you using?  If some flavor of Unix, what's the output
> > of the following command?
> >
> > ls -alR /path/to/tablespace/directory
>
> This directory indeed contains a subdirectory named 595675173 (the ghost's
> database oid ;-))

Does that subdirectory contain anything?  That's part of why I asked
for the "ls -alR" output; I was also curious to see if there were
any surprises in ownership and permissions.

> Is it save to shutdown the postmaster, remove this directory and restart the
> postmaster again? Are there any system tables that need updates after
> removing the database manually?

I'll defer to the developers to answer that, at least until I've
done more research.  But the question that needs answering is: why
does that directory still exist if the database has been dropped?
Maybe one of the developers will have some ideas, especially if
we can see the directory's contents.  Please post the output of the
"ls" command shown above, i.e., a recursive long listing of all files
under the tablespace directory.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/