timestamp timezone problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From
Subject timestamp timezone problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
when i run the following query

select now()::timestamptz

in pgadmin3's sql window, it ends with -07.  as i
understand it, that is the time zone.  my computer is
GMT-8 since i'm in the pacific time zone.

why is there a discrepancy - or is it just me not
knowing the nuts and bolts of what is going on?

to tz or not tz? that is the question.  i think i want
to tz b/c i can't guarantee that tz won't become
relevant in the future (ie, data may be entered from
two different time zones a report may want to compare
the dates).

any advice would be appreciated.

tia...

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs