Re: Remote administration functionality - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Remote administration functionality
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> > The idea of the patch was to give applications the full unix I/O
> > capabilities, allowing them to program these functions into
> > administration applications.  I think the group generally would like a
> > higher-level API that allows something like:
> >
> >      SET GLOBAL log_statement = 'mod';
>
> Sounds reasonable (and quite nice) for postgresql.conf, but consider
> pg_hba.conf. The production systems I run at work have heavily commented
> pg_hba.conf files, with entries that are intentionally ordered. As you
> know, unlike postgresql.conf, there is no fixed set of possible entries.
> How can we create a cleaner inteface for that, and be able to maintain
> annotations in the file in a way that works well when using tools and
> text editors at different times?

TODO has:
       o Allow pg_hba.conf settings to be controlled via SQL
         This would require a new global table that is dumped to flat file for         use by the postmaster.  We do a
similarthing for pg_shadow currently.

I was thinking of a global table that can be modified with
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE and is then dumped to a flat file, like we do with
pg_shadow.  For changing the file, I think we would need a sequence
number for each row.  In fact, perhaps it should act like a float, so if
you insert row sequence number 2.5, it goes between rows 2 and 3, and
then the rows are renumbered, perhaps automatically.  This is how APL
programming used to work, if I remember correctly.

> > Given the confusion about the patch, I think we can give folks some time
> > to work on any additional remote administration bulleted items while we
> > clean out the patches queue.
>
> Thank you - and my apologies if anyone thought my previous rant came
> across too srongly, or was unjustified.

You comments were justified.

-- Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610)
Pennsylvania19073