BUG #1789: Error starting up server - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Chris Saringolis
Subject BUG #1789: Error starting up server
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1789
Logged by:          Chris Saringolis
Email address:      chris@apacsystems.com.au
PostgreSQL version: 8.0.3
Operating system:   Red Hat Linux 9.0
Details:

I have downloaded Postgresql 8.0.3 from the Australian mirror site, and am
following the online documentation for installation.

I get to the pointof initialising the database via initdb -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data

I then try starting up postmaster in the background as per the
documentation:

Postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >>serverlog 2>&1 &

Postmaster cannot start up and I get the following error in the serverlog
file:

"The data directory was initialized by PostgreSQL 7.3 which is not
compatible with this version 8.0.3"

This is a fresh install including the Linux OS. Why am I getting this error
and could it be the download has some old version components??

Regards,

Chris