Re: BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tatsuo Ishii
Subject Re: BUG #1775: UTF8 to ISO does not convert the german
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > PostgreSQL 8.0 does not support UTF8 on Win32. You will need to
> > convert the file before you load it into the database - look at for
> > example the GNU iconv program to do this.
>
> PostgreSQL does not support UTF8 locales on Windows, but the character
> conversion should work the same on all platforms, shouldn't it?

Right.

BTW the original bug report sounds interesting to me. The conversion
between UTF-8 and ISO 8859-1 is handled by a program logic, not by
conversion tables. So if german umlauts are converted fine, there's no
reason the conversion for german sharp s does not work.

Marcus,

Can you give me the exact error message from PostgreSQL when the
conversio failed?
--
Tatsuo Ishii