Re: [HACKERS] 4 pgcrypto regressions failures - 1 unsolved - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 4 pgcrypto regressions failures - 1 unsolved
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 08:06:15PM -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Marko Kreen wrote:
>
> > [buildfarm machine dragonfly]
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 01:06:46PM -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
> > > Well the buildfarm machine kudu is actually the same machine just building
> > > with the Sun compiler and it works fine.  It links all of libz.a into
> > > libpgcrypto.so while gcc refuses to.
> >
> > I googled a bit and found two suggestions:
> >
> > 1. http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2002-01/0092.html
> >    (Use -mimpure-text on linking line)
> >
> > The attached patch does #1.  Could you try it and see if it fixes it?
> >

> This patch works, pgcrypto links and passes its installcheck test now.
>
> Kris Jurka

Thanks.

Here is the patch with a little comment.

It should not break anything as it just disables a extra
argument "-assert pure-text" to linker.

Linking static libraries into shared one is bad idea, as the
static parts wont be shared between processes, but erroring
out is worse, especially if another compiler for a platform
allows it.

This makes gcc act same way as Sun's cc.

--
marko