Re: SQL99 - Nested Tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: SQL99 - Nested Tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 05:14:27PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> David,
>
> >Nested tables is a Good Thing(TM) though :)
>
> Hmmm.   I don't buy that they are an a priori Good Thing.  What are
> they good for?  I can't think of a single occasion in my 12-year
> database career where I found myself wanting one.

If they'd been available when you started, you might find them
indispensable. :)

> Seems to me that, SQL standard or not, nested tables are just a
> jumbo-sized foot gun for new DBAs.

There are quite a few things in PostgreSQL than have already been
implemented which can serve this function.  Ask a new DBA what she
expects table inheritance to do or not to do, for example.

> And it's not like they'll be trivial to implement.

Probably not, but implementing them will very likely open the door to
implementing other parts of the SQL standard that really are fun. :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!