Re: BUG #1756: PQexec eats huge amounts of memory - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: BUG #1756: PQexec eats huge amounts of memory
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 09:51:54AM +0300, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> I wanted to show colleagues which are Oracle admins that peak
> data fetch rate of PostgreSQL is way better than Oracle one.
>
> While it turned out to be true (Oracle+WinNT = 2kb TCP output buffer,
> ~1Mb/s over 100Mbit; PostgreSQL+Linux = 8kb buffer, ~2.6Mb/s),
> I was ridiculed instead when my php script failed miserably,
> crashing Apache with OOM condition, while alanogous script for Oracle
> ran to completion just fine.

You should have tested the script before showing off :-)  You may want
to convert it to manually use a cursor, at least the Postgres version.
That would alleviate the memory problem.

"Some men are heterosexual, and some are bisexual, and some
men don't think about sex at all... they become lawyers" (Woody Allen)