BUG #1748: Unique contraints cannot be added to long text fields - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Greg Steffensen
Subject BUG #1748: Unique contraints cannot be added to long text fields
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      1748
Logged by:          Greg Steffensen
Email address:      greg.steffensen@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.02
Operating system:   Gentoo Linux
Details:

I'm storing SVG files, which can be many kilobytes long, in a text field.
When I try to add a unique contraint to that field, or try to add a row to a
table that already has had the unique contraint applied, I get errors like
the following:

ERROR:  index row requires 15528 bytes, maximum size is 8191

Evidently, the unique constraint creates an index, but the index can't
handle large field sizes.