Rule creation and evaluation order - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Vincenzo Romano
Subject Rule creation and evaluation order
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi all.
I've already read the friendly manual but have not found any clue.

I would like to do some calculation on the rows of a table every time it
gets updated.
I've decided to use:

create table table1 (
  afield integrer,
  id integrer
);

create table table2 (
  overall integer,
  id integer unique not null,
  primary key(id)
);

create rule myrule
  as on update
  to table1
  do also
    update table2
      set overall=(select count(*) from table1 where afield>0 and
table1.id=NEW.id)
      from table1
      where table2.id = NEW.id
;

What it seems to me is that the table "table1 t1" is being processed *before*
the update and not *after*. Infact the sum() returns the old value.

Is this the expected behaviour?
How can I have my rule action run *after* the actual update?

Thanks to anyone that can help me.

--
Vincenzo Romano