Re: Add PG version number to NLS files - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Add PG version number to NLS files
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 25. Juni 2005 04:24 schrieb Bruce Momjian:
> >> We absolutely want to support multiple installed versions of PostgreSQL.
>
> > But we don't support installing multiple versions on top of each other, which
> > is the only scenario where this patch would be useful.
>
> I agree with Peter.  AFAICS, the binaries go into $prefix/bin and the
> NLS files go into $prefix/share/locale, so there is no more nor less
> conflict among different versions' NLS files than their executables.
> In both cases the only supported way to have multiple installations
> at once is to use different install prefixes.  So why complicate matters
> like this?

OK.  I guess I am confused.

Right now bindtextdomain() just calls something like
bindtextdomain("libpq"), etc.  How does it know to use the proper
share/locale?  And is bindtextdomain("psql") different?

I am just trying to understand how things work.