Re: vulnerability/SSL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dong changyu
Subject Re: vulnerability/SSL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
A possible countermeasure on Windows platform,
inspired by Magnus.Thanks ;)
First we remove the passphrase from the key file,
making it plain.
Windows provides a feature "encrypted file system",
provide transparent encryption/decryption. We can log
on using the account we run Postgres with and encrypt
the plaintext key file. Then we logon using another
non-amin account, and start postgres using "runas"
service. Therefore the file is encrypted, only the
Postgres acount and the recovery agent(built-in
administrator by default) can read/modify it. The file
will remain encrypted when restored from backup.
I've tested it on my computer and it works.

cheers,
Changyu