Re: Performance nightmare with dspam (urgent) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Russell Smith
Subject Re: Performance nightmare with dspam (urgent)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:19 am, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:
> I found this response to my original post, and tried every single suggestion
> in it, which has not helped:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2004-11/msg00416.php
>
> I'm sorry to come begging for help, but this is a MAJOR problem with no
> logical explanation, and is almost certainly the fault of PostgreSQL, because
> the database and contents have been identical across all the hosts, and some
> work beautifully with no tuning whatsoever; so I don't feel I'm wrong in
> placing blame...

I would personally strongly suggest turing on logging
on the PG server for about an hour, sifting through the runtimes for the queries and
finding which ones are taking all the time.  I'd then run explain analyze and see what
is happening.  I have heard you could get much better performance by rewriting some of
the dspam queries to use PG features.  But I've never used dspam, so I can't verify that.

But a quick look through the dspam pg driver source...

    /* Declare Cursor */
#ifdef VIRTUAL_USERS
    strcpy (query, "DECLARE dscursor CURSOR FOR SELECT DISTINCT username FROM dspam_virtual_uids");
#else
    strcpy (query, "DECLARE dscursor CURSOR FOR SELECT DISTINCT uid FROM dspam_stats");
#endif

If that's run often, it probably won't give the best performance, but that's a guess.
Again I'd suggest turning up the logging.