Re: CRON Jobs and Backups - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Aarni Ruuhimäki
Subject Re: CRON Jobs and Backups
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,

Here's simple instructions and sample for sftp and cron (linux), which should
give you an idea how it works. You can then create your own scripts for the
actual job.

http://tennis.ecs.umass.edu/~czou/linux/backupSSH.html

BR,

Aarni

On Monday 06 June 2005 20:07, you wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i've googled and searche dmy pgsql books and i can't
> quite get a confident grasp on cron jobs.
>
> as i understand it...  the following should enable me
> to backup via cron:
>
> PGUSER=postgres
> PGPASSWORD=password
> export PGUSER PGPASSWORD
> pg_dump databasename | gzip > databasename.bak.gz
>
> my interfaces is cpanel and it only gives me one line
> to type this in...  can i replace the returns with a
> space and will this still work?
>
> eg, PGUSER=postgres PGPASSWORD=password export...
>
> will databasename.bak.gz be stored in the same file as
> my database?
>
> how can i store the file on my local computer?
>
> i finally have some data in my db and i scared of
> losing it.  *real* scared!
>
> tia...
>

> __________________________________
> Discover Yahoo!
> Have fun online with music videos, cool games, IM and more. Check it out!
> http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

Aarni Ruuhimäki
Megative Tmi
Pääsintie 26
45100 Kouvola
Finland
+358-5-3755035
+358-50-4910037

www.kymi.com | cfm.kymi.com
This is a bugfree broadcast to you
from **Kmail**
on **Fedora Core 2** linux system
Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates and a free apache inside.