Re: Performance nightmare with dspam (urgent) (resolved) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Casey Allen Shobe
Subject Re: Performance nightmare with dspam (urgent) (resolved)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Monday 06 June 2005 15:08, John A Meinel wrote:
> Be very careful in this situation. If any disks in a RAID0 fails, the
> entire raid is lost. You *really* want a RAID10. It takes more drives,
> but then if anything dies you don't lose everything.

We have redundancy at the machine level using DRBD, so this is not a concern.

> I don't know if you can do it, but it would be nice to see this be 1
> RAID1 for OS, 1 RAID10 for pg_xlog, and another RAID10 for data. That is
> the recommended performance layout. It takes quite a few drives (minimum
> of 10). But it means your data is safe, and your performance should be
> very good.

The current servers have 4 drive bays, and we can't even afford to fill them
all right now...we just invested what amounts to "quite a lot" on our budget
for these 2 servers, so replacing them is not an option at all right now.

I think the most cost-effective road forward is to add 2 more drives to each
of the existing servers (which currently have 2 each).

Cheers,
--
Casey Allen Shobe | http://casey.shobe.info
cshobe@seattleserver.com | cell 425-443-4653