Re: NOLOGGING option, or ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: NOLOGGING option, or ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > We have two and three-byte encodings, so 16-bit seems like it wouldn't
> > work.  I am not aware of any specs except the C code itself.
>
> Ok - no problem.
>
> How about test data and cases?  I see the SQL encoding examples used in
> src/test/regress/sql for testing encoding in SQL, but are there regressions
> for QA/test of multi-byte encoding support?  If not, that's OK, but it would
> save us time if some were already written.

No, I don't think so, but the good news is that the existing code has
always worked flawlessly.

> WRT the COPY command, I'd like to have regressions that test the input of
> matched client/server encodings with different (standardized) multi-byte
> control characters.

Makes sense, but how do we know what encodings the client supports?  We
would need some tests for that.

> The current code seems to allow for an arbitrary second byte in control
> characters, so if we made a statement about control character support, I
> think it would be
>    <ctl-byte><any-byte>...mblen...<any-byte>
>
> is allowed for specification of control characters (newline, delimiter).

I have no idea what you are talking about.  Again, give me facts about
what we currently don't do and what you want to do.

Pennsylvania19073