Re: BUG #1697: Select getting slower on continously updating data - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: BUG #1697: Select getting slower on continously updating data
Date
List pgsql-novice
This does not belong on the pgsql-bugs list. The pgsql-novice or
pgsql-performance lists seem more appropiate. I have set followups
to the pgsql-novice list.

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:05:00 +0100,
  Bahadur Singh <bahadursingh@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found situtation that, when I am selecting data from a table of 200
> records, getting slower as I do continous update to the same existing data.

You need to be vacuuming (and possibly analyzing) the table more often as the
updates will leave dead rows in the table which will bloat the table size and
slow down access, particularly sequential scans. If the updates modify the
data value distributions significantly, then you will also need to
reanalyze the table to help the planner make good decisions.