Re: pgsql: Add PL/pgSQL SQLSTATE and SQLERRM support which sets these values - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pgsql: Add PL/pgSQL SQLSTATE and SQLERRM support which sets these values
Date
List pgsql-committers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Does Oracle support GET DIAGNOSTICS?  If so, couldn't we just use
> > that? I can't see what good will become of making any slightly
> > useful information become available as magic variables of some
> > kind.
>
> Oracle actually defines these things as parameterless functions that
> are called without parentheses (like CURRENT_USER).  "Magic
> variables" are about as close as we can get to matching that.

What I was aiming for is this: If Oracle supported GET DIAGNOSTICS, then
we could ask people to switch to that instead of using the magic
variables and they'd still have code that works both ways.

--
Peter Eisentraut