[Fr*e-Content] Embrace the Four Fundamental Laws of Communication - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mark Susnow, Life Coach
Subject [Fr*e-Content] Embrace the Four Fundamental Laws of Communication
Date
List pgsql-sql
Article reprint requirements:

• You may reprint this article, electronically in free-only publications in it's entirety in an Ezine, blog or web
site.
• You may not use this article for commercial purposes without our written consent.
• You may not use this article in Unsolicited Commercial Email. This article can only be distributed in opt-in email
listsonly.
• Whenever this article is used, it must include the authors byline with an active link back to our web site.
• Courtesy copy of ezine or URL on web site is appreciated.
• Ask for changes you'd like made, if any.
• Request permission from the author to publish this article in print or in a paid for arena.
• Contact info: Mark Susnow, Life Coach
<mailto:mark@inspirepossibility.com?subject=Article-Permission>

Word Count:  In this article, Mark Susnow, teaches us four
fundamental truths of communication when embraced will
transform the quality of your relationships.

Embrace the Four Fundamental Laws of Communication

You’re on the way to the airport.  You get on the plane with
a book that you’ve been planning to read for quite some
time.  As you open your book, you glance at the person next
to you.  A few minutes later you are asked a question and
you reluctantly answer. You lower your book a bit to be
polite and after a few minutes you find yourself putting
your book down and engaging in a conversation, although with
a lack of enthusiasm.  And then the person next to you,
let’s call him John, makes an observation about you that’s
quite perceptive and sensitive.  You start to become curious
about who John is and in the course of the conversation, he
tells you of an experience he has only shared with a few
people.  You let John know that you have had the same
experience.  By now you’re totally engaged and listening to
every word he says. You notice every nuance in the
inflection of his voice and the way he moves.  Time seems to
stand still and the next thing you know the plane lands.
You say goodbye to the kindred soul you have just met.

Wouldn’t you love to have these experiences more often?  You
feel heard and everything seems possible.  It is
communication at its highest level and it’s a lost art.  You
can have these experiences more often if you embrace the
four fundamental truths of communication.

The first truth  is to know that what we all want on a
deeper level is the ability to connect with another, to
touch each other’s soul.  Unfortunately, too many of our
conversations are just an exchange of ideas and information
and we very rarely penetrate the surface.  Most of our focus
is on how we are going to respond to what is being said
instead of listening.  When we know that what the other
person really wants is connection, there is common ground to
build upon.  With this foundation, we can build
relationships that can deepen and empower those involved.

The second truth is to know that listening involves much
more than just listening to the words.  It is tuning into
the energy beyond the words.  It is understanding the needs
and feelings of the other person.  It is about being totally
engaged and at the same time being in the rhythm of life.
Yes, it takes a lot of energy but you will be energized by
what you get back.  Imagine living in a world where you are
truly listening and fully engaged.

The third truth is to know that you must take responsibility
for the quality of your communication.  Because we all have
long standing attitudes and beliefs we sometimes find
ourselves trying to convince the other person of our
viewpoints.  Being right then becomes the goal of the
interaction rather than communication and the next thing you
know you are in a full-fledged argument.  Just think of what
happens when you discuss politics or religion.  Is being
right more important than experiencing one of those magical
moments?

The fourth truth is that communication is a process and an
art.  Being a masterful communicator doesn’t happen over
night but it starts with the intention to experience more
connection in your busy life.  Just like other art forms,
i.e. dancing or music, their is a natural ebb and flow in
the learning cycle.  As your commitment deepens to this
process you notice that you are having more frequent
glimpses of the magic that is possible in your life. The
ultimate communication occurs when you are able to touch
each others soul and share who you are.  This new-found
magic then becomes the gateway to a more fulfilling life.

At our core level we all have the same human needs and
desires. We want to know that we matter and that our life
has meaning and purpose. We also have the need to love and
to be loved.  When we accept and recognize that we all have
these human needs and desires we realize that we are part of
one human family. When we work together as one, what is
possible in our lives, communities, and the world expands.

Embracing the 4 fundamental truths of communication and
applying them to your daily life is a gift to all involved.
It is a way to deepen the connection in your life.

© 2005 Mark Susnow, formerly a successful trial attorney
inspires leaders and professionals to implement their vision
of the future. He is a life coach, speaker, and group
facilitator. Listen to an audio message from Mark and join his
newsletter "Letters on Life" at http://www.inspirepossibility.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/TBhwlB/TM

Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/Free-Content

Free Text to HTML Converter for Publishers!
http://website101.com/cgi-bin/t2h/Mt2h.cgi
Yahoo! Groups Links