Re: BUG #1659: primary key accepts null value - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Fuhr
Subject Re: BUG #1659: primary key accepts null value
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 01:36:00PM +0100, Ä°brahim wrote:

> i m using pg 8.0.2 in a project with Visual Studio.NET at Windows Platform
> but when i send a null value to my Prmary Key column it accepts that value.

PRIMARY KEY implies NOT NULL.  Are you sure the value being inserted
is NULL and not, for example, an empty string?  What's the output of
the following query (use your own table and column names)?

SELECT pkcolumn, length(pkcolumn), pkcolumn IS NULL FROM tablename;

Are you sure the column has a PRIMARY KEY constraint?  If you connect
with psql, what's the output of the following command?

\d tablename

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/