Re: [HACKERS] read-only database - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] read-only database
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 09:02:07AM +0900, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:
> I think the read-only has two meanings for the user.
>
> First is the internal state. XID, OID or something like that.
> In these cases, the internal state mustn't be changed.
> Some users will need the read-only for internal state.
>
> Second is read-only for the user data contents.
> In some cases, the user want to make the user data as read-only.
> For this purpose, the user doesn't care XID or OID, I guess.
>
> So, we can implement them in different way.
> I think both are necessary.

But the second is only a subset of the first, no?  So why not just
implement the first?  Put another way, why do you think the second is
necessary?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for
surely where thou typest "foo" someone someday shall type
"supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" (5th Commandment for C programmers)