Re: pg_locks needs a facelift - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: pg_locks needs a facelift
Date
List pgsql-hackers
FWIW, I've asked previously for a means to name userlocks. The reason
for this is that if you're not locking on some kind of object with an
OID then you're stuck picking some random value and hoping that no one
else using userlock ever picks the same value. If instead there was a
means to name userlocks, it's easy to use a name like "My application:
some thing I want to block on". Putting the 'My application:' in there
pretty much ensures that you won't conflict with anything else, and the
randomness of whatever you call what you're locking on should be plenty
to handle the rest.