Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement

From: Bruce Momjian
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date: ,
List: pgsql-hackers

Tree view

Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
     Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: Increased company involvement  (Thomas Hallgren, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Hannu Krosing, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Josh Berkus, )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Hannu Krosing, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
 Re: Increased company involvement  (Andrew Dunstan, )
  Re: Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
  Re: Increased company involvement  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
    Re: Increased company involvement  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
     Re: Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
      Re: Increased company involvement  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
       Re: Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
       Re: Increased company involvement  ("Marc G. Fournier", )
    Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
   Re: Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: Increased company involvement  ("Marc G. Fournier", )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Kris Jurka, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Chris Travers, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Nicolai Petri (lists)", )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Kris Jurka, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
  Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (David Fetter, )
   Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Robert Treat, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Christopher Browne, )
 Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
 [OT] Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Tom Copeland, )
  Re: [OT] Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Russell Smith, )
   Re: [OT] Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Mitch Pirtle, )

Robert Treat wrote:
> ISTM the allure of differentiation and branding is going to be too strong for
> us to prevent such things.  An easy way to differentiate is to add some
> proprietary/unique extension to the main code and then package that up. If
> you have to have all your extensions be put into the community version then
> lose this advantage over your comptetitors. (Mammoth PostgreSQL/Replicator is
> an example of this)  The same holds true for branding.... if your Pervasive
> you want to sell Pervasive Postgres rather than PostgreSQL because you get to
> push your name out there, and get people thinking about your company whenever
> they talk about the database.
>
> I think our goal is to encorage companies to push these changes into the core
> as much as possible, pointing out things like the advantages community
> support brings like ongoing maintainance,  support in add-on tools like
> pgadmin or phppgadmin, and eliminating the chance that someone else will
> submit a similar solution that gets accepted to the community code there by
> deprecating the work they have already done.

I remember something the president of Great Bridge told me, he said,
"Great Bridge needs PostgreSQL.  If Great Bridge dies, PostgreSQL goes
on (as it did), but if PostgreSQL dies, Great Bridge is dead too".