Re: pgsql: Mention that PAM requires the user already exist in the database, - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pgsql: Mention that PAM requires the user already exist in the database,
Date
List pgsql-committers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I don't recall exactly what Dick suggested, but the patch as applied
> seems like fairly useless verbiage.  Exactly which of our other auth
> methods allow users who *don't* exist in the database to log in?
> And why would anyone find it surprising that this does not happen?

I think the difference is that PAM carries a user list of its own, and
users might be led to believe that it's enough to create a user in the
PAM system and it will automatically exist in the database.

With the other authentication methods, there is no external user list.

--
Peter Eisentraut